Monday, January 19, 2009

Flying Solo

I went to a concert last night by myself (Department of Eagles, for the curious types). It was the first time that I’ve gone to a concert sans company. Typically, I’m the guy who has to scramble around last minute trying to find people to go to a show with me because I bought extra tickets even though I hadn’t gotten guarantees of interest pre-purchase. As it turns out, I had a pretty great time and it got me thinking about the typical perception of the person who goes to concerts (or movies, or any public leisure activity) alone. I know I’ve been on the other side, thinking it to be kind of sad that someone couldn’t find friends to go to a show with. This line of thinking is pretty unfair and reductive, and I’m going to try to put a stop to it (at least for myself) both in action and thought.

Before I knew anyone when I moved to Boston, I began going to films alone and really enjoyed it. I never had to confer with anyone’s opinion on what to see. I didn’t have to wait for someone to get ready. It was my schedule and my time. Transferring this thought process to concerts never occurred to me (though the events are inherently different, what with concerts being a one-and-done occasion). Going to a concert alone was out of the question. I missed concerts by some of my favorite bands that I’m kicking myself about now. All this because friends, understandably, didn’t want to pay to see a band they didn’t care about. Now I sit around checking to see when they will appear in Boston again only to see they are touring in Australia for the next two months.

It’s silly that more people don’t go to concerts alone. What’s the worst that will happen? The show will be bad (in that case, it would have been bad regardless of company) or there won’t be anyone to talk to about the show. Plus, I’ve had shows ruined for me because the people I was with didn’t want to be there to begin with. I would have been better off alone. The more social types have no trouble striking up a conversation with someone, especially since there is already a point of mutual interest. For the more socially reserved (like myself), there’s the fun of people watching to go along with the show (that is, if you ignore the feeling that everyone is staring at the weird, friendless person, because they aren’t).

The opening band for Department of Eagles was very good. I immediately bought their CD after the set (the band’s name is Here We Go Magic). They were playing their second show ever, and had I not gone alone, I’d never know anything about the band (given that they are opening for an already obscure side project of another band). Immediately, I started thinking about all the missed opportunities of discovery because I was too timid to show up to a concert alone. No more. Flying solo may not be ideal, but neither is regret.

No comments:

Post a Comment