Monday, February 2, 2009

You Are Being Watched

“Did you ever get the feeling you was being watched?” ponders Bugs Bunny (particularly when Marvin the Martian or Gossamer’s mad scientist creator are about). And you know what, Bugs’ instincts are correct. He is being watched (and not just by the viewers at home). How do you think he gets into all of those hare-y situations (I make no apologies for the pun)?

However, we aren’t equipped with the same sensory accessories as this animated rabbit. Sure, there are the times when we feel something is amiss, but that’s generally when the environment is creepy to begin with (though, I guess the same can be said for Bugs, but let’s ignore that). The fact is, someone is almost always watching us and rarely do we know it.

Any time we step into a public arena (so any time we leave our homes), people have an eye on us. Not in the conspiratorial sense, just curious. But then again, who hasn’t walked past a house at night with lights on and taken a quick peak inside (from the sidewalk, of course). Perhaps, if you are like me, you look like a red-colored Chia Pet. Or maybe you’re attractive. You may even subconsciously dance to you iPod (or practice your DJ scratching technique on the subway). Whatever the case, we are being monitored.

I know this because I do it all the time and if I know one thing, it’s that I represent everyone everywhere. I am the everyman (now would be the time to break out your sarcasm detectors). I’ll watch people jogging from the subway car just to see how well they keep pace with it. If there is something unique about you, chances are my eyes will continually drift in your direction. And, looking like a giant fuzzball rests upon my shoulders, I routinely look at people who I think are looking at me. Should I ever talk to one of these possible me-watchers, we’ll instantly have something to talk about: watching those who will never know they are being watched.

The real reason I know I’m not alone in this is because I know people who will go to the mall or a park just to people-watch. It’s like a zoo except the attractions roam free. It’s mildly disconcerting to realize that there are probably hundreds of people a week who take notice of you without engaging in any interaction with you. And if you aren’t slightly uncomfortable about that thought, think about how many complete strangers have your picture in photo albums because you are wandering around the background. God willing, you aren’t doing anything unsavory.

It’s not like this people-watching is doing any good. If we retained the image of the person in our heads, at least we’d know if we ran into them again at some point. I, for one, don’t. The moment they pass from sight, they are forgotten, awaiting someone else to secretly watch them. At least Big Brother can take it easy. We’ve got an eye on things.

No comments:

Post a Comment