Thursday, August 13, 2009

Top 20 Horror Films of the Past 20 Years: Part 1

Entertainment Weekly’s Owen Gleiberman recently posted his Top 20 Horror Films of the Past 20 Years. There has already been much outcry against his opinions and his definitions of horror, to which he has responded (interestingly, I agree more with the reasons he left movies off the list than with the movies that actually made the list), but I figured I’d pile on anyway. For every happy surprise (Drag Me to Hell!), there was a questionable counter (Planet Terror?). While I don’t disagree with the quality of all of his selections, though there are some that don’t fit the horror mold (The Silence of the Lambs), that are more interesting than good (Alien 3), or I just think are bad movies (Audition). Instead of breaking down my reasons for disliking his selections/reasoning, I’m offering my own list. I definitely recommend checking out Gleiberman’s list, though, because who doesn’t like bitching about another’s opinion. As always, feel free to mock me in the comments or inquire about any of my choices/rejections.

20. Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (2006)
One of the early adopters of the mockumentary for horror purposes, Behind the Mask knows its slasher history and knows it well. A fun look behind the scenes of what it takes to be an aspiring Freddie/Jason/Michael Myers with a little bit of genre analysis thrown in. Nathan Baesel is fantastic as the would-be killer and Home Alone’s Angela “you’re what the French call ‘les incompetent’” Goethals plays the documentarian. Plus, the ubiquitous Robert Englund has a cameo. It could stand a bit more gore to fit in with its forefathers, but a solid genre entry in its own right.

19. Freddy vs. Jason (2003)
From Englund to Englund, this time in his iconic form. Freddy vs. Jason has no right to be as entertaining as it is, but it doesn’t take itself seriously and delivers on amazing, outlandish kills. If you like either franchise, you have to love this film. Speaking as someone who generally hates sequels and remakes, I would give just about anything to see Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash as long as Raimi directed and Campbell returned (but then, that’s a given).

18. 1408 (2007)
Who said that Frank Darabont is the only person that should adapt Stephen King anymore? 1408 pushes its PG-13 rating with an endless stream of creepy ghosts and startling imagery. As a skeptic who is fascinated by ghosts, this film has an immediate connection with me. The scene when John Cusack’s character is confronted with his dead daughter tears me apart. I really can’t think of anything worse happening to someone. Even with an iffy ending, 1408 is top-notch through and through.

17. Tremors (1990)
Just about the only good film Ron Underwood made (depending where you fall on City Slickers), Tremors is one of the great horror comedies of all-time. Who doesn’t love crazy monster movies? Aside from the great chemistry between Fred Ward and Kevin Bacon, we get Michael Gross as an overly prepared gun-nut. It’s not surprising he returned for all of the sequels, I’d watch Gross’ Burt Gummer character even if monsters weren’t attacking his desert community.

16. The Blair Witch Project (1999)
I was pretty late to the game with Blair Witch. I remember being told how great it was in high school, but decided to wait 7 or 8 years to finally catch up with it, for some reason. Ultimately, this was for the best, since I missed the hype and the backlash and could judge it on its own. Much like Cloverfield, I’m glad I missed the shakiness in the theater, but I wish I had been on the bandwagon earlier on. It really blew me away in just about every respect. I even recommend checking out the much-maligned sequel, which is a lot better than it gets credit for and takes an admiringly different approach to the material. Also, keep your eyes open for the Australian film Lake Mungo that, if there is any higher power, will receive similar word of mouth and promotion.

15. Army of Darkness (1993)
I still wish that they went with the original title, The Medieval Dead and kept the bleaker ending, but what are you going to do? I think it’s physically impossible for Bruce Campbell not to be badass and here, he’s at his baddest-assest. While not exactly… scary… Army of Darkness retains all that makes the other Evil Dead movies so great: the style, the campiness, and the quotability. While still my least favorite of the series, Army of Darkness is a classic of the genre in its own right (and the only one that can be shown on TV without severe editing). Interesting note: Embeth Davidtz starred in this and Schindler’s List in the same year. How’s that for diversifying one’s portfolio?

14. Bug (2006)
After years of mediocre films, William Friedkin returns to form with Bug, a truly great psychological horror film, emphasis on the psychological. In a cast of great performances and Harry Connick Jr. playing against type, Michael Shannon steals the movie entirely, which isn’t surprising since he played the same role in the stage production. The film really shines in the second half when the characters really start to go batshit. It’s intense and darkly humorous, a perfect combination.

13. Scream (1996)
I’ve written about Scream in this space before. It’s pretty much the perfect combination of parody and horror. It helps to have one of the slasher genre gods behind the camera. Much like Behind the Mask, Scream knows its horror history and takes its jabs at both it and the horror community. And who could ever forget Rose McGowan’s entrance to the garage? Never fails to bring out the inner adolescent in me. A side note: I was terrified by the ghost-face mask from about ’96-’99, possibly later.

12. Dead/Alive aka Braindead (1992)
Probably the only film on the list that I will never make anyone watch. While the gore is over-the-top in a cartoon-y way, there are still many moments that might cause retching in the stomachs of the weak. It still astounds me that Peter Jackson was given the Lord of the Rings franchise with this, Bad Taste, and Meet the Feebles on his resume. If you can stomach it, Dead/Alive is simply hilariously disgusting, with perhaps one of the craziest climaxes in cinema history.

11. The Frighteners (1996)
Peter Jackson again. Oddly, this film will always be associated with Christmas for me since that’s when I saw it for the first time. The Frighteners contains another cloaked terror that traumatized me in my mid-teens (what was it with 1996 and cloaks?). This is starkly different from Dead/Alive, but no less fun. I love Michael J. Fox’ ghostly compatriots and, well, all of the ghosts. In fact, the only problem with the film is that it looks distinctly like New Zealand instead of anywhere in America, where it’s set (San Francisco, I think, but that could just be the hills).

No comments:

Post a Comment