Monday, November 15, 2010

Top 5 Films: Kansas

The Ice Harvest
Harold Ramis as a weird career as a director. His successes are classics (Caddyshack, Groundhog Day), but his failures are far more numerous and easily forgotten (Analyze This/That, Bedazzled, Year One). Of course, his work as a writer helps puff up his resume into respectability, again. So, while in my mind, I'm a huge fan of Ramis as a director (and I am a huge fan of his, in general), in reality, I'm pretty indifferent on his work. It was his involvement with The Ice Harvest that put it on my radar at all and I'm glad it did. The Ice Harvest is a pretty great black comedy that doubles as a Christmas movie (and Billy Bob Thornton's second Christmas-related black comedy). The twisty script was co-written by Robert Benton who really has a stand-out career. Definitely an enjoyable movie. Perhaps watch it with Grosse Point Blank for the Cusack double feature.


National Lampoon's Vacation
We've already had our discussion about Harold Ramis, so I'll leave it at that aside from the fact that, clearly, I think this is one of his successes. I suppose one could view this as a cheat because it's a road trip movie and can therefore be attached to a number of states. Certainly, Kansas isn't the first thing one thinks about when one thinks about Vacation. My reasoning regarding road trip movies is that if a major or memorable plot point happens in the state, it qualifies and what could be more memorable than Cousin Eddie and his family? Not only are we introduced to Eddie, but they load the Griswold's down with Aunt Edna and her dog, both of whom are treated pretty poorly in death.


Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
And while we're talking road/John Candy/John Hughes-written movies, let's hit up Plains, Trains, and Automobiles, unintentionally making an appearance just in time for Thanksgiving. This film is more about trying to get out of Kansas (which, come to think of it, all of the films on this list are to a degree) as Neal Page (Steve Martin) is rerouted to Kansas on the way home to Chicago from New York. Del Griffith (Candy) tags along, much to Neil's chagrin and their first night in Kansas, most of their money is stolen. The film is hilarious and sad, mostly due to Candy's fantastic performance. In lieu of a trailer, I'm giving you my two favorite scenes.



Mars Attacks!
I have know link between Mars Attacks! and the films above, though it seems impossible that there isn't one with this cast. Nicholson, Close, Bening, Brosnan, DeVito, Short, Parker, Fox, Steiger. It seems like there isn't a no name in the cast. Even Jack Black and Christina Applegate (at the height of my desire for her... hey, I was 14) are in there. It's a fun homage to the B-movies of the '50s and I can't help but think it would be received better had it been released in this decade, what with success and continued success of Tarantino, Rodriguez, and Wright, all of whom where their influences proudly. OK, so maybe they have mostly cult appeal and Mars Attacks! is right where it belongs. That doesn't make it any less enjoyable. Plus, the way to kill the aliens is discovered in... Kansas!


The Wizard of Oz
I suppose this was inevitable. My antipathy towards leads me to not care for this as much as others and I generally like it more because of the who Dark Side of the Rainbow thing. However, the film is amazingly impressive. The Wizard of Oz also represents my only experience as a stage actor (when I was 11-years old, I believe). I've never understood it's relationships to Christmas, as shown in A Christmas Story, so if anyone can explain that to me, that would be great. Interestingly, perhaps the most famous line from the movie states, "we're not in Kansas any more." I may have to rethink this entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment