Tuesday, July 5, 2011

American Dreams, Nonsense Words, and Colors of Natural Phenomena


It's been a while since posting anything and I apologize. I was working on something that I hope to post sometime soon. I haven't been watching quite as many movies lately, so my thoughts on the first couple aren't as clear as they once were. Apologies all around.

American Movie -- Chris Smith
American Movie is a documentary about a man's, Mark Borchardt, attempt to make an ultra-low budget film. Just looking at Borchardt and hearing him talk, one would think it would be easy to make fun of him, and it probably is, but I was too impressed with his go-for-it attitude. The guy might not have a lot going for him, but he's got his passion. The viewer alternately feels bad for him for putting his heart and soul into something that has a high likelihood of being nothing and admires him for taking the risk. My favorite parts of American Movie all had to do with his friend's, Mike Schank, stories about his drug-addled past. There does seem to be a sort of cruel irony that Chris Smith seems to have gone on to a more successful career, though I was happy to see that Borchardt has been working in film since, even if they are minimally known. I didn't watch Coven, which was on the DVD, but I was told by a coworker that it is pretty cool and I tend to trust him.

House of Clocks -- Lucio Fulci
This comes late in Fulci's career and it shows. The film is a mess on every possible level, seemingly eschewing logic for twists. I'm not a huge fan of Fulci's to begin with -- his films have their moments but are largely pretty slow -- but I can't recommend this one even a little.

A Serious Man -- Joel and Ethan Coen
This is one of those films that seemingly nothing but bad things happens to the main character for the duration of the movie. I'm not a fan of this kind of movie (Bridesmaids and Meet the Parents falls into this category, too). The drama just feels contrived, like the writers (in this case, the Coens, who I normally like) sat around deciding what's the worst thing that could happen to the main character instead of the plot points happening organically. Also, the children in A Serious Man are horribly annoying. However, the end credits feature the line, "No Jews were harmed during the making of this film," which is highly amusing.

The Tingler and Zotz!-- William Castle
I have an affinity towards William Castle. I love his P.T. Barnum-esque qualities. His films are often quite silly, but in a affable and appealing sort
of way that leaves you happy even if the movie wasn't great. I'd heard The Tingler spoken of pejoratively and I can't tell you how much I enjoyed it. Every time I watch Vincent Price, I gain new appreciation for his considerable skills as an actor and feel bad that his persona has become a parody (much like another great actor, Peter Lorre). There are so many amazing flourishes associated with The Tingler that I need to see it with all the fixins. Seats rigged up to zap people's backs. Audience plants to scream. Everything. And the scene in the bathroom is much more effective than Spielberg's red jacket in Schindler's List. The movie rules.

As for Zotz!... it's a comedy. An amazingly goofy comedy that reminded me a lot of The Absent-Minded Professor for some reason (maybe because it was release the year after?). It's most interesting to me to see Tom Poston, who's appe
ared in seemingly ever sitcom of the '90s and early '00s, as a young man. And it's kind of fun to say "Zotz!" I only recommend this if you're a fan of William Castle. Or if you have free time since it's on the same DVD as The Tingler.

Eureka -- Nicolas Roeg
This is definitely a Nicolas Roeg film. I didn't know he directed it until I started watching it, but it's unmistakable. I liked Walkabout and Don't Look Now is pretty good. The Man Who Fell to Earth is strange, but this was mostly boring. The cast is far better than the content. One can't help but feel a big influence on There Will Be Blood, though. It gets better towards the end and then turns into a courtroom drama and become utterly ridiculous. I'm sure it has many defenders. I'm not one.

Blue Thunder -- John Badham
I don't know if it's the style of the film, but I had a sense that it was directed by the same person who directed WarGames and I was right! Blue Thunder is about helicopter cops (I call dibs on the name Chopper Cops for something) and is pretty fun. They try to throw in some weird Vietnam flashbacks, but those don't amount to much. It's mostly about conspiracy and a rivalry between Roy Scheider and Malcolm McDowell. Plus, it's got a baby-faced Daniel Stern and Warren "Mother-Fuckin'" Oates! Not great, by any means. But fun as hell. And the ending is amazing in all its balls-out absurdity.

Red Dawn -- John Milius
In a shameless plug, you can read my thoughts on Red Dawn here. And feel free to add your own.

Naked -- Mike Leigh
I was very surprised by Naked. I'm not exactly sure how or why it ended up on my queue. It's the exact type of intense personal drama I shy away from, but David Thewlis is pretty mesmerizing, Malcolm McDowell voice and all. It's also fascinating that the film tries to make us feel for an obnoxious, know-it-all rapist. I haven't seen much by Mike Leigh and HATED Happy-G0-Lucky, so I'm glad this was on my queue. I may have to give other films by him a shot. I have to give the music a huge assist for this film. It created a great mood while being incredibly interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment