Thursday, October 17, 2013

Halloween Horror Watch #20: High Spirits

High Spirits -- Neil Jordan



Allegedly, Neil Jordan turned in a very different and darker version of High Spirits to the studio, then the studio barred Jordan from the editing room and cut this version. I'd be interested in seeing the original cut, which Jordan claims still exists, as I quite enjoyed what I saw. There are several very impressive set pieces and the cinematography is gorgeous. Unlike many bland comedies of this ilk, there is an energy to the filmmaking that makes it come alive (I assure you if you watch/have seen High Spirits that this pun is not intended). Add in a fantastic cast and it's pretty easy to coast on however the scenes are cut together.

Without any details about Jordan's original cut, I can only assume that the love story was the main point of contention. In this version, it's the weakest part and features the weakest actors, Steve Guttenberg and Daryl Hannah. High Spirits wastes no time getting into the action and before we know it, Peter O'Toole and his crew are trying to scare the various American tourists. This was all so fun and inventive that I was disappointed that it's revealed as a put-on so quickly. Then Guttenberg meets Hannah the ghost and things slow down. But then the real ghosts start running amok! Then we cut between amok-ness and the Gutte. When the ensemble is so fun and the mayhem so well-done, it a distraction to deal with this silly little love story. However, the silly little love story has a fun little payoff, so I softened my stance. Damn movies. Why won't they let me judge them before they're over?

High Spirits isn't much more of a trifle, but I was entertained. And it takes place on "All Hallow's Eve," so it's seasonally appropriate (and showing in a theater near at least one of you *cough* Paul *cough*). Definitely deserves to be (re)discovered.


No comments:

Post a Comment