Monday, March 30, 2009

A Short One -- Double Dribble

I rarely watch basketball. In fact, I rarely think about the game ever since I stopped playing in 10th grade. The last minutes of any close game are the dullest and least dramatic of any sport. Sure, there have been some great last minute shots, but there is no momentum. Foul. Foul shot(s). Time out. Run a play. Make or miss shot. Foul. Foul Shots. Time out. Ad nauseum. I remember getting up from the stands at a basketball game in undergrad with 26 seconds left. I went to the bathroom and returned about 5 minutes later and 4 seconds had ticked off of the clock. Dear God.
Anyway, all that is to say that I just now had a realization about the game Double Dribble for Nintendo (awesomely called Exciting Basket in Japan) while watching some March Madness games. How weird is it that Nintendo named its basketball game after a penalty? It makes it seem like you should aspire to double dribble. Why not name a baseball game Foul Ball. Or a football game Pass Interference. Hell, there’s a lot to choose from in football. Hockey could be Icing. Soccer: Red Card. Golf can be Water Hazard. Coming up with these names is kind of fun in and of itself.

Actually, I kind of like this idea. These games can be sports games that allow cheating. It can be like a realistic version of Mutant League Football. You can bribe the ref. Take cheap shots. Hit the right controller code and the umpire will blow a call. I’m all for it. It’s time for a change in sports gaming anyway. How many Madden’s do we need, anyway? Write your Congressman to get some movement on this.
I went into school seething after this play happened. But how much fun would it be to control the outcome??? Oh yeah... Yankees Suck. So this next picture is for me:

No comments:

Post a Comment