Thursday, May 28, 2009

A Short One -- Soap

I enjoy spending time thinking about completely useless subjects. Frequently, I’ll ask others what they think about things like the origins of sayings or why top hats aren’t worn anymore. And, generally people look with an air of disinterest or confusion. Probably an appropriate response, but it doesn’t stop me from considering arcane frivolities of the universe. It was along my minds daily meanderings that I started thinking about soap.

It’s pretty well understood that soap is a good thing. It keeps us (among other things) clean and kills bacteria. Overall, it’s good at preventing illness (that is, if everyone is using it). But how do we know it’s really functional? I’ve never seen the behind the scenes research of soap. People still get sick. A lot. While I certainly feel clean after a shower, I don’t know that the microscopic bacteria has really washed away. All I know is that I smell better coming out of the shower than when I went in. In fact, a recent soap commercial based its advertising campaign on the fact that their soap doesn’t leave a film of soap on you like all other kinds of soap do. I don’t know how I feel about that.

Now, I’m not going to stop using soap. It’s better to err on the side of caution in this case, I suspect. However, there is a niggling suspicion deep within my that feels we are all being snookered.

No comments:

Post a Comment