Monday, August 30, 2010

Top 5 Films: Oregon

This project my end up being more daunting than I'd expected. It's quite easy to find lists of films shot in a particular space, but finding films that are set in those states is another thing. I'm worried about when I have to pick five films for, say, Idaho. Of course, maybe I'm just too picky. I'm not in love with The Goonies, Kindergarten Cop, Free Willy (which I've just dubbed the Astoria trilogy), or the films of Gus Van Sant. That alone makes this task about 30% more difficult.

Old Joy
Old Joy kind of hypnotized me when I watched it. I'm pretty sure the combination of the music (by Yo La Tengo) and the scenery subliminally implanted the idea to move to the Pacific Northwest in my head. The film is slight and simple, but damned if it isn't affecting. Plus, Will Oldham rocks! Still need to catch up with Kelly Reichardt's follow-up, Wendy and Lucy.



Stand By Me
A fictional town in Oregon is still a town in Oregon, right? For me, Stand By Me is a much prefered Corey Feldman vehicle than The Goonies (which is still fun, just not as great in my mind as everyone else's). It's one of the great Stephen King adaptations and comes in the middles of an amazing Rob Reiner run (This Is Spinal Tap, Stand By Me, The Princess Bride, When Harry Met Sally..., Misery. OK, so at the beginning of the middle). Also, the four leads (hell, let's call it five to include Kiefer Sutherland) couldn't have had more different career trajectories. Death (River Phoenix), nerd-god (Wil Wheaton), burn-out/joke (Corey Feldman), B-list "star" married to a supermodel (Jerry O'Connell, marriage status noted only since he was so rolly-polly in the film), and legitimate but troubled A-Lister (Kiefer Sutherland).


One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
A veritable classic, no matter what Ken Kesey may say. This film would fight for a spot if I was doing a top 5 for every country (note: I will not be doing a top 5 for every country). It's no surprise that great cast + great script + great director (or at least very good) = a great film. Louise Fletcher is so identified as the loathsome Nurse Ratched that I was surprised to find that not only has she been working consistently for over 35 years, but that she was pretty sexy in The Cheap Detective just three years later. I didn't think that was possible. And good on the casting director for seeing the inherent chemistry between Christopher Lloyd and Danny Devito. It must have made casting for Taxi (also) three years later that much easier.


Zero Effect
This is kind of a cheat because, while I remember thoroughly enjoying Zero Effect, I don't remember too much about it. The film basically hinges around your feelings about Bill Pullman, which is fine for me, because I like him (and even better that it doesn't hinge around your feelings of Ben Stiller because he's pretty restrained here). It's a clever and bizarre detective story. I'm kind of predisposed to it because the director, Jake Kasdan, directed some Freaks and Geeks and Undeclared episodes plus The TV Set, which is hilarious.


The Phantasm Series
I'm including the whole series because I know for a fact that II and III take place in Oregon and there is some debate about whether the first takes place in Northern California or Oregon, but I think it's Oregon, so it stays. Simply put, Phantasm is awesome. Flying silver orbs, other dimensions, grave robbing, the Tall Man, Reggie Bannister. They've got everything. I'm envious of our UK brethren because they get the entire series in a boss box-set.

No comments:

Post a Comment