Thursday, September 9, 2010

Top 5 Films: Massachusetts

Since I've been hitting the states in which I've lived first, there was only one choice left for the Top 5. I'm not sure how I'll choose next time, but I'll find a way. Perhaps I'm way to picky about the movies I like, but I really thought that Massachusetts was going to be easy compared to Oregon. Boy was I wrong. I haven't enjoyed any of the Dennis Lehane adaptations and late-stage Scorsese doesn't cut it for me. Good Will Hunting? No. Legally Blonde? Not really my thing. The Boondock Saints? Forget it. Fever Pitch? I'm still mad at them for tainting the 2004 World Series Celebration. I don't need to see Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore running around the field in my moment of elation.

Field of Dreams
Look at this. The first one and I already picked a movie indelibly linked to Iowa. It'll get more appropriate later, I promise. I sacrifice Little Children for Field of Dreams for the simple reason that a huge plot point send Ray Kinsella on a road trip that culminates at Fenway Park with Terrance Mann. It just doesn't get more Boston (hell, even more Massachusetts-ian) that Fenway Park.

PS -- I reserve the right to reuse this film at a later date.

The Verdict
Sidney Lumet, David Mamet, Paul Newman. And let's not forget James Mason and Jack Warden. Newman plays an alcoholic Boston attorney (I think that's a requirement of attorneys in Boston) in need of redemption. Not much more to say other than this is a great film. Also, I have a man-crush on Paul Newman.


The Last Detail
Another pseudo-cheat because it's a road trip movie that travels through several cities on the east coast. The Boston set piece is an effort to deflower the tragic sad sack Meadows (Randy Quaid) before he gets placed behind bars for 8 years. Jack Nicholson leads the trip up the east coast and Carol Kane, Nancy Allen, and Gilda Radner all pop up. Underrated 70's director Hal Ashby (Harold and Maude, Being There) wrangles everything together. What's most remarkable about the film is that it hearkens back to a time when Randy Quaid wasn't a joke, but a talented character actor (he picked up and Oscar nod for his role here). Poor guy got stuck as Cousin Eddy.


Altered States
Altered States is a mindfuck. I can't even begin to describe it. I'd imagine it's as close one can get to being on drugs without having actually taken any (and I'd hate to think what might happen if one did while watching this movie. Would a wormhole open? Would it be like John Malkovich entering his own mind?). Ken Russell directs and it's based on a book by Paddy Chayefsky, but I care mostly because Bob Balaban is in it and Bob Balaban rocks!



Jaws
Not officially indicated as Massachusetts but filmed on Martha's Vineyard with Massachusetts residents as extras, I'm going to allow it. Easily the best Spielberg movie, it's endlessly entertaining. Funny, scary, whimsical, not afraid to kill children or dogs, and rated PG. And then there's the epic USS Indianapolis speech before all hell breaks loose. Jaws is one of those films you can't help but watch if it's on TV. I'll still take a man-eating shark over jellyfish any day, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment