Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Why I Won't Be Seeing Playground and I Feel Like a Bad Person For It

I was looking at the upcoming events for the Hollywood Theatre because, well, I work there and try to maintain the blog, and I clicked on a link for a special event this week called Playground. Here's the trailer:


Pretty harrowing. It looks like it's going to be well done and informative, but I knew even before my girlfriend asked if I'd like to go that I would not be seeing that movie. I'm generally not one to avoid movies based on subject matter or content, but Playground strikes me as particularly unpleasant and, more than that, makes one feel pretty helpless. Maybe it's in light of the Kyron Horman case out here that still isn't solved, but children will always be vulnerable to something and people are pretty twisted.

I saw The Cove and Lake of Fire. I've seen countless horror films with rapes, mutilations, gore, and torture (hell, one of them had a woman cut a baby out of another woman's stomach with scissors), and while I understand that these horror films are fake, that doesn't mean we can write them off saying "stuff like that doesn't happen in real life" because it does (just generally with less supernatural forces). The Cove is about animals, so it's easy to distance one's self. Lake of Fire is more of a discussion on a controversial subject. Horror movies are spectacle and also distancing from realities. But Playground is right there.

It seems a little like I'd rather just not think about it, which is probably partially true, but I think it's really great that people are trying to expose it. However, since I'm already on the side of, "this is a horrible thing," I don't need to see the movie to be further convinced. It's kind of like how I don't need to see An Inconvenient Truth to know we should try to stop global warming. Playground is probably an attempt at a call to action, but I'm sad to say, like most Americans, I'd see it, be sad, and do nothing. Judging by how I felt/feel after watching the trailer, I don't think I could handle the full film.

If you want to see it, though, head to the Hollywood Theatre on Thursday. It starts at 6 PM.

2 comments:

  1. I made it about 10 seconds in. I don't see how this can be necessary, or what the point of the movie would be other then to make people uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I don't think people realize how much it happens in America, so it's good to bring attention to it, but I just can't see ever watching it.

    ReplyDelete