Monday, January 10, 2011

My Week in Netflix

I'm going to test this out for a few weeks to see how it goes. It's not like I need to write about movies more and I've already got Weekly Film Rec/Wreck where some of the movies I write about here may pop up, but the fact is, most films fall in between. I'm not going to do big write-ups or even post trailers (unless I find that useful). I just happen to watch a lot of movies during the week and thought it might be fun to track them. And even though I've complained about Netflix a lot, I'm all talk it seems and am starting a feature around having it (and I didn't cut my subscription back, either). So off with the first My Week in Netflix!

Young Sherlock Holmes (1985)
Young Sherlock Holmes is basically an origin story. Sherlock meets and befriends Watson (and another important figure in his life to come) and they have their first case together tracking down the cause of several mysterious deaths. The 1980's were big on adventures featuring children: The Monster Squad, The Goonies, Explorers, just to name a few. I'm of the mindset that The Goonies is typically the least of these films and Young Sherlock Holmes fits under The Monster Squad (the absolute best). It's fun and features everything we love about the character (even if the events that lead to him getting his trademark hat and pipe seem shoehorned in). It's directed by Barry Levinson and written by Chris Columbus, the latter striking me as more than a little bizarre, though there is a distinctly Harry Potter feel to it, so maybe his work on that franchise makes sense after all. And definitely watch through the end credits.

Waxwork 2: Lost in Time (1992)
I used Young Sherlock Holmes as an excuse to watch Waxwork 2 (the first of which will be getting Film Rec treatment) because Sophie Ward plays roles in each. Waxwork 2 also features an amazing performance (aren't the all?) by acting god, Bruce Campbell. The film picks off right where the first ends and is somehow even more bizarre. The two don't really make sense with each other, but this one is basically an excuse to parody different genres and films (The Haunting, Invasion of the Body Snatcher, Alien, among many others). Zach Galligan (Gremlins) reprises his role, but unfortunately Deborah Foreman doesn't. It's an immensely silly movie, but fun, especially The Haunting parody with Bruce Campbell. Don't see this without watching Waxwork (which is awesome) first. There is this amazing music video under the end credits, though.


Tideland (2005)
The critical response to Tideland was astoundingly negative. I don't think it's nearly as bad as that. The visuals alone are pretty amazing. It's not exactly a pleasant film though. There's lots of disturbing imagery and people are frequently shot in unpleasant wide angle lens close-ups. Gilliam's DVD intro is also a little off-putting. It's true, critics generally missed the point of the film, but there's no need to insult the intelligence of everyone watching. Still, you have to admire Gilliam. It's better to fail doing your own thing than to compromise your vision for "mass appeal." This is definitely not introductory Gilliam, though. Incidentally, star Jodelle Ferland (who is quite good) has had quite a career for a 16-year old.

Wendy and Lucy (2008)
I already expressed my feelings about this film.

World Trade Center (2006)
I never really had much interest in watching this film. I thought it would just make me sad and didn't know what new it could tell me (and until recently, I didn't care much for Nic Cage), but Josh Becker (who seemingly hates every new movie) said he enjoyed it on his Ask the Director page, so I thought I'd give it a chance. I could have done without the emotions of the family stuff because that falls under the "what new are you telling me" topic, but the scenes of the PAPD getting prepared to help, the buildings collapsing, and subsequently getting trapped are incredibly well done. One kind of expects director Oliver Stone to be a bit too blunt with the subject, but it's all handles very elegantly. The viewer really understands the confusion and fear these men must have felt.

Frozen (2010)
I unequivocally love Adam Green's Hatchet. It's everything a slasher movie should be. So I was pretty excited for Frozen. I'm not sure why, since Green's other films I've seen, Spiral, was mediocre at best. Frozen essentially falls directly in-between those films. Three friends get trapped on a ski lift after the mountain is closed down until the next weekend. It's one of the movies where you watch the characters and can't help but comment on how stupid they are being. There's a lot to like and the tension is high, but there is just as much that feels contrived. Still, it's a pretty effective film using only one location.

Zelig (1983)
Woody Allen can take his place along side Godard and one other filmmaker on this list of highly regarded directors whose films I just don't care for. I'm not giving up hope on any of them, but nothing has struck me yet. I do like Allen when he's wackier (Sleeper, Bananas), but Zelig was simply short of laughs. It's a mockumentary about a man who shapeshifts to match his company (black man, fat men, Chinese men, doctors, Nazis, etc). It sounds like a great concept, but I feel it's ultimately hurt by the documentary format.

The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (1976)
I love John Cassevetes as an actor. As a director, he gets some amazing performances out of his repertory. The Killing of a Chinese Bookie is no different. Ben Gazzara is astounding. I had high hopes for this film because multiple friends told me how great it is. While this is my favorite Cassevetes film so far, Cassevetes the director is the third filmmaker I just don't care for. I'm not a huge fan of intense personal dramas (psychoanalyze as you will) and his films have this deliberate pace that I simply don't have the patience for. They also tend on the long side (which is why I didn't even attempt to make it through all of Opening Night). I fully acknowledge the man is doing something different. That thing just isn't for me (my former professor would roll over in his grave, were he dead, should he ever read this)

The Crazies (2010)
In my Romero piece, I stated that I'd probably never see this film. Well, thanks to the recommendation of my former roommate, I did. I'm glad he changed my mind. The remake goes its own way and better yet, isn't overly flashy the way the Dawn of the Dead remake is. The characters are strong and it doesn't veer far from believability. Best of all, it doesn't rely on cheap scares. It's legitimately tense. It may not be better than the original, but it gives one hope that all remakes aren't just a quick cash in on a name property (then again, the original The Crazies is hardly well-known).

The Hawk Is Dying (2006)
My interest in this film stems from a time when I was really into Paul Giamatti. That time has since past and my interest waned. When The Hawk Is Dying showed up at my house, my enthusiasm was pretty low. I watched it anyway and it's exactly what I thought it would be: a story of a depressed man (Giamatti's niche) and the world shitting on him. Even though my interest was lacking, the film did strike an emotional chord at the end, so I can't tell you to stay away. If you're into this type of film, you'll probably like it a lot. I'm mostly taking away that my taste in films and Michelle Williams' taste in scripts are apparently diametrically opposed (with Dick as an exception).

No comments:

Post a Comment