Thursday, January 6, 2011

Weird Al Introductory Mix-Tape

I take my iPod into work to supply a little background noise for downtime (which is totally necessary since i didn't have it last night and it was oppressively silent). It also helps spur discussions about any number of things from music to movies to personal history. One particular discussion has come up several times, seemingly only on Saturdays and generally with someone still in high school: "Weird Al" Yankovic. It really surprises me how few people are unfamiliar with even a little of his work given his recent resurgence in popularity (White & Nerdy, Godspeed You! Black Emperor booking him for ATP). I guess I should keep in mind that even back in 1999, VH1's Behind the Music noted that seemingly every Weird Al album (Weird Al-bum?) was a comeback album even though the man never stopped. Our discussions pretty much revolved around me playing select tracks and showing them that not only is Weird Al hilarious, but he's surrounded by insanely great musicians.

Full disclosure: I'd actually jumped off the Al bandwagon after Bad Hair Day. I don't know exactly why, except that I didn't really care for his Star Wars prequel riff on American Pie. I only caught up again once I bought Straight Out of Lynnwood and it was amazing. On going back to Poodle Hat (the name of which only now started striking me as hilarious) and Running with Scissors made me realize how much greatness I'd missed out on.

This appreciation is about the songs I would select to get people into Weird Al's music. I'm leaving off the polka medley's because they would dominate the list. It was hard enough to cull it down to what I've got. There's a lot of latter-day Yankovic on this list which I think just goes to show that he's as good as he's ever been. And don't get me wrong. There are some bad songs, but the highs are so much greater than those lows.

Before I get started, I'd be remiss if I didn't direct you to this great essay Michael Ian Black wrote on Weird Al.

In Al-phabetical order (see what I did there?)

Albuquerque (Running with Scissors)
This is the first of the truly epic, long songs Weird Al did. I have a natural attraction to songs over six minutes already (something you'll soon see), so it's only natural that this makes the list. It's just an off-the-wall story "song" (more just Al fast over a rock riff). The great appeal of Albuquerque is there is no way to know where Al's mind will take you. It's rife with surprises and crazy imagery. If you're a fan of scatological humor, you'll love this song.

Highlight: when the band tries to spell Albuquerque (bonus: I now know how to spell Albuquerque myself after writing this).



The Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota (UHF)
There's nothing outright funny about this song. It's just overwhelmingly pleasant. BBoTiM recalls 30,000 Pounds of Bananas by Harry Chapin, which is just as pleasant. Much like Albuquerque, it's a story song and was previously the longest of his catalog. There's just something triumphant about it that suits a road trip to such an odd destination. It takes sort of an existential turn when the narrator starts asking questions about why the twine ball exists at all.

Highlight: Definitely the vocals at the very end, making it impossible for me to ever sing at karaoke.





Bob (Poodle Hat)
What starts as a pretty obvious and straight forward Bob Dylan-style parody quickly reveals itself to be something much more. Every verse is a palindrome. Like most palindromes, the only make the vaguest of sense, but what's more appropriate for a Dylan parody?



Highlight: "Go hang a salami, I'm a lasagna hog."



CNR (Internet Leaks)
One of the things that's most appealed to me as Weird Al has gotten older is that his world of references seems to be expanding and getting more esoteric. Since my tastes in pop music are more or less nonexistent, that aspect of his oeuvre doesn't speak to me so much. I've often wanted him to do an entire album riffing on "indie" music, but that doesn't necessarily make sense. But a White Stripes pastiche about how awesome Charles Neslon Reilly is? That more than appeases me!

Highlight: "He made sweet, sweet love to a manatee!"



Dare to be Stupid (Dare to be Stupid)
The aforementioned Behind the Music featured Devo frontman Mark Mothersbaugh stating the Weird Al wrote a better Devo song the Devo. Whether he really believes that or not is between him and the producers, but the sentiment stands. The song is amazing and can easily stand alongside its inspiration. Curiously, the song is used in Transformers: The Movie.

Highlight: "Stick your head inside the microwave and get yourself a tan."



Everything You Know Is Wrong (Bad Hair Day)
Another thing I really like in songs is a lot of lyrics in fast succession (you'd think I'd be more into hip hop, that being the case). The lyrics aren't impossibly fast (we'll get there) but you need to plan your breathing right if you're going to get through the song without a light head. In typical Weird Al fashion, there's all sorts of bizarre references to Jamie Farr, Hibachi dealers, and nehru jackets. Sometimes I wonder what I ever got out of this music when I was 13 years old.

Highlight: All that said, I'm quite partial to the musical interlude in the middle.



Frank's 2000" TV (Alapalooza)
Again, nothing outright funny about the song, just filled with vivid imagery and lovely harmonies. I know I would be amongst those standing in awe. I can't count the number of times I've converted 2000 inches into feet to really visualize this TV (obviously, I always forget... it's 166.6 repeating feet).

Highlight: The "Hey now!" segment.



Genius in France (Poodle Hat)
I couldn't believe my ears when I heard Genius in France. A Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention pastiche? Holy crap! I can't even pretend to be on the inside of that club. I know enough to recognize the Zappa style and have heard a small amount of the music. But as far as I'm concerned, he nailed it (if Billy the Mountain is any indicator). Maybe not the best to start someone out on, but it proves that Weird Al and his band are far more ambitious than those who write them off as simply writing new lyrics over others' songs).

Highlight: Pretty much any time the song takes an unexpected turn.

Hardware Store (Poodle Hat)
My karaoke white whale. The song that will bring me greatness. You don't even have to sing it well. Just getting all of the words is enough. I don't know if Weird Al can actually sing it himself (but I like to think he can... it gives me hope), but one day, I'll try. It's an original, but I think I hear an ELO influence. The impossibly fast lyrics I spoke of... yeah, they're here. Listen in awe.

Highlight: The vocal run detailing the inventory. Incredible. Give it a shot:



It's All About the Pentiums (Running with Scissors)/White & Nerdy (Straight Outta Lynnwood)
I believe a coworker of mine was talking about how Weird Al doesn't get the recognition for his flow that he should. It's a lot easier to squeeze your lyrics into something sung than it is something that has a definite rhythm. You need to hit the same beats as the original or it's just not going to work. It seems like every time Weird Al tackles the genre, he creates a classic (I'll forget about I Can't Watch This). These songs basically do the same thing. "Hey, this is an awesome rap song! Let's make it about something nerdy!" but it's done so well and they are so clever that it doesn't matter if he's running the same ground. Weird Al's wordplay in each of these is positively genius.

Highlight: Too many good lines to count, but "You're about as useful as jpegs to Helen Keller" and "What kind of chip you got in their, a Dorito?" from the former, the latter would be too many words to type.




Nature Trail to Hell (In 3-D)
I have to include one all about some awful horror movie. It's playing to everything I love in the world. It helps that the song is amazing and that I want to see this movie (seriously, a follow-up to UHF?). I love that the song won't stop at the end, repeating the title over and over, just like the would-be killer in the would-be movie. Apparently, there is a backwards message in the song that states "Satan eats Cheese Whiz." Yeah, him and millions of Philly Cheesesteak lovers.

Highlight: Once again, I love the musical breakdown.




Pancreas (Straight Outta Lynnwood)
A gorgeous and educational homage to the Beach Boys. This song has actually come in handy at trivia for me. I'm of the opinion that it takes some sort of twisted genius to create a love song to one's pancreas and we're all better for it that Weird Al is just that person.

Highlight: "Flow, flow, flow pancreatic juice..." to the end.



Since You've Been Gone (Bad Hair Day)/You Don't Love Me Anymore (Off the Deep End)/One More Minute (Dare to Be Stupid)
When I first conceived of this posting, I tossed around the idea of breaking down the various styles of Weird Al parody. He has songs riffing on TV, food (probably the most common association), film synopsis, and so on. Probably my favorite "genre" Weird Al deals in is his Not Quite Love songs. Some of them seem sweet even if they use unpleasant imagery, only to have an ironic ending. Some are musically akin to love songs, but spit nothing but bile. All are great, though. This trio of songs encapsulates the variations on a theme perfectly.

As an aside: There's a hidden track after You Don't Love Me Anymore that consists of random noise and Weird Al screaming. In high school, I was doing homework while listening to Off the Deep End. I was deeply immersed, so I didn't get up to change the CD. Unexpectedly, the screaming started and scared the crap out of me. I nearly fell backwards in my chair and lost concentration for the next fifteen minutes. I think I'll be remembering that terror even on my deathbed. Apparently, that was Weird Al's intention. Mission accomplished, Al. Mission accomplished.

Highlights: All of Since You've Been Gone, "You slammed my face down on the barbecue grill, now my scars are all healing but my heart never will" in You Don't Love Me Anymore and when Weird Al's exasperation shines through in One More Minute





Trapped in the Drive Thru (Straight Outta Lynnwood)
I remember when Straight Outta Lynnwood came out, reviews spoke of how bold it was for Weird Al to take on a song that is already inherently ridiculous. I wasn't familiar with Trapped in a Closet before hearing this song, so I didn't know what they were talking about. Having since visited, I understand the review's point of view. That song is crazy! Weird Al smartly (is there anything he doesn't do smartly) took the heightened drama of Trapped in a Closet and went to the other extreme with inanity. It takes a confident comedian to commit eleven minutes to something that for all intents and purposes is a dull, tedious story.

Highlight: Jimmy Page cameo and the twist ending

No comments:

Post a Comment