Friday, February 11, 2011

Netflix Week

I think I'm going to get rid of the "Weekly" aspect of my film recs/wrecks. The only predictable part of my schedule anymore is waking up an watching a movie, so I keep missing the weekly stuff. Plus, I'm usually trying to write from a perspective removed from the viewing experience, so the pieces aren't as good as they always could be. From now on, it will be when I'm particularly moved as opposed to shoe-horning it in there. For those curious, here are some films I planned on writing about, but won't now:

Recs:
Body Double
The Shootist
Pieces
Waxwork

Wrecks: The Matrix
The Departed
The House of the Devil

Onto the main event!

Season of the Witch -- George A. Romero
Speaking of Film Recs, I wrote a post dedicated to Romero's non-zombie films, pretty much recommending all of them that I'd seen. Well, no longer. Season of the Witch isn't bad, really, it's just incredibly boring. It's the story of a bored housewife who turns to witchcraft, but is really just a whole lot of talking politics, either overtly of subtextually (no evidence that this is a word). It's the sort of personal drama I don't really care for to begin with, but it could've been handled a lot better. A Woman Under the Influence of Witchcraft kind of thing. Instead, Season of the Witch just kind of sits there.

Fantastic Mr. Fox -- Wes Anderson
I don't really remember the book much, so I more or less came to this film with a clear mind. It was enjoyable. I don't know if I loved it as much as some of Anderson's other work, but it has a fun style. Even though it looks exactly like a Wes Anderson film, it looks completely unique, too. Definitely something to revisit, though there are two things I hate about it: the annoying whistle that is Mr. Fox' "thing" and (and this goes for so many films) that dancing is the distillation of pure joy. I pretty much hate pointless dancing scenes in films and have been mentally preparing a screed against them for a while.

After.Life -- Agnieszka Wojtowicz-Vosloo
The main reason to see this movie is if you want to see Christina Ricci's boobs. A lot. It's a decent enough film with enough to make the viewer question what is real or not, but it's mildly repetitive. Justin Long plays essentially the same role he played in Drag Me to Hell only less likable. Really, neither Ricci nor Long are likable in this film, which leaves Liam Neeson, who is good, but I much prefer him kicking some ass. On the other hand: boobs...

Dead Presidents -- The Hughes Brothers
I remember when this came out I had no interest in it. The ads did nothing for me, which is ridiculous because the ads made it seem like nothing but a heist film and heist films are awesome! Instead, Dead Presidents is a melodrama about black men who fight for their country in Vietnam and come back with nothing. In some ways, it's a bit like The Best Years of Our Lives meets Le deuxieme souffle (not the best known of heist films, but they rob and armored car and it's amazing). Probably the most remarkable aspect of Dead Presidents is that it features Chris Tucker and he's not unbearable! Plus, any film that features Keith David prominently must be seen. It's a rule.

No Direction Home (Part 1) -- Martin Scorsese
I'm halfway through this documentary and while I haven't learned much I didn't already know, it's very good. Scorsese cuts between early footage of Dylan during his "folk music" days and a performance at the Manchester Free Trade Hall in Manchester England. I could watch footage from that concert all day because, contrary to the reactions of the audience (who largely seemed to hate that he wasn't alone with his acoustic guitar), the show was amazing! The crowd is hilarious in retrospect, but it's fun to hear other concert-goers argue with the interviewees that they are witnessing something unique. Probably my favorite talking head personality is Dave Van Ronk who is funny, likable, and has a great look about him. Definitely looking forward to Part 2.

Conquest -- Lucio Fulci
For those who love ridiculousness with your nudity. The main villain wears a mask the whole film, but remains topless (frequently writhing around on the ground with a boa constrictor wrapped around her). There are bizarre rat-faced Wookies, swamp zombies, shape-shifters, laser arrows, and so much more. With all of that, you'd think it would be great, but after an amazing start (think "wishbone"), the film derails fast. Oddness alone sustains it for most of the run time, but that's not enough. And soft-focus doesn't lend a dream-like state. It makes a movie look hazy. One could cut a hell of a trailer out of this, though. Let's see if they did:

Nope. And now you've seen the movie.

Hatchet 2 -- Adam Green
Oh boy. This is going to take a post of it's own...

No comments:

Post a Comment