Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Michael Ian Black Is My Comedy Idol

I'm not cool enough to have liked Michael Ian Black going all the way back to The State and I'm barely cool enough to have enjoyed his antics on Viva Variety (DVD release, please). The series that really made me a fan of MIB was Ed and from that point on, I was his. I actively avoided the I Love the '80s series until I was flipping through the channels and saw MIB's talking head (note: I hate the '80s). The man can do no wrong in my book (OK, one wrong, but he totally makes up for it).

Most people know Michael Ian Black for his snarky, sarcastic persona. And rightly so, as he does it so well. But what really made me his acolyte were his moments of stark honesty (there are actually more appropriate example of this, one of which is the skydiving story available on his album Very Famous and the other is about his first experience with pot and can be found on the Education episode [39] of The RISK! Podcast). Well, that and, aside from the "one wrong" link above, we share very similar ideas (I'm also in awe of his ability to self-promote. From LeWar to his efforts to be Taco Bell's spokesman). 

So, obviously, I bought his book You're Not Doing It Right: Tales of Marriage, Sex, Death, and Other Humiliations and it has delivered those honest moments along with lots of hilarity (the pot story is also in this book). The book is particularly appropriate for me since he discusses getting married and having children, both of which I'll be doing this year. Of course, if it wasn't written by Michael Ian Black, I wouldn't care because it's not that different from anyone else writing about marriage and kids (I love Bill Cosby, but have no desire to read his books on the same subject). But here's a microcosm of what I think sets MIB apart:

So yeah... Michael Ian Black rules and you should all read his book(s). I'll leave you with this to get you started:



No comments:

Post a Comment