Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Waiting Is... A... Hard Part

I didn't feel comfortable going all out with the Tom Petty reference as I don't feel it's my place to determine what the hardest part of pregnancy is. But the waiting is pretty hard.

For 3/4 of a year now, Andrea and I have known that our lives will be changing forever. It was an inevitability, but in the future. Now, the due date approaches and we're well within the window of acceptability for a home birth (37 to 42 weeks). People are continually asking when the baby is due (understandably: see picture) and we keep saying that it could be any day now, which is incredibly frustrating.

As someone who likes to block out his day accordingly (go climbing at this time, this much time to watch a movie, do some writing next, etc), the unexpected nature of this eventuality gently mocks me. I can totally see why people schedule C-sections even if I think it's ridiculous. Not only can't I plan my day without wondering if Andrea will go into labor, I can't even know when the labor will happen!

At least with each passing day, the odds go up that that will be the day Andrea goes into labor. Unfortunately, we still have something like two or three weeks for that to happen. We've been waiting for this day for so long (and I can only imagine how ready Andrea must be). I'm ready to start the next phase of life. The anticipation is palpable (it doesn't help that the last time I called home, my mom answered asking if Oliver was here).

But if he could just hold off until after Thursday so we can kick some ass at trivia, that would be terrific.

No comments:

Post a Comment