Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Top 10 Radiohead Songs - Part 2

For part one, click here.

5. Exit Music (From a Film) – OK Computer
One of my favorite moments of any concert I’ve gone to is when the drag duo Kiki and Herb (opening for Rufus Wainwright) covered “Exit Music.” There entire performance was great, but they crushed this song. It makes complete sense that Baz Luhrmann used it in his Romeo and Juliet adaptation. And for some reason, I can’t help but link this song with The Beatles’ “She’s Leaving Home.”

4. Reckoner – In Rainbows
There is nothing about this song that doesn’t kick my ass. The guitar riff, the light cymbal taps, Yorke’s amazing falsetto. It’s all perfection. And as my buddy Wes demonstrates, it’s great for portraying one thing: emotion.

Don't forget to watch Gone - Part 2.
3. Street Spirit – The Bends
I’ve spent about ten years trying to master the picking pattern of this song and still get lost in the chord transitions. This was my first favorite Radiohead song, and it should be obvious why. The way it builds on itself is masterful. I defy anyone to not get chills listening to this song.

2. Life in a Glass House – Amnesiac
I don’t know why, but it took me a long time to fall in love with “Life in a Glass House.” It didn’t really connect with me until last year in Australia. It sounds like few other songs out there. The only other artist that might do something like it that I can think of is Tom Waits. Lyrics-be-damned, this is playing at my funeral. Who doesn’t love a good New Orleans jazz-style funeral dirge?

1. How to Disappear Completely – Kid A
I can’t imagine this song ever being displace from the top of my list. It’s haunting in the best possible ways and a always get chills listening to it. When it starts to sound like the song is going off the handles but suddenly pulls out of the freefall (mixing metaphors is fun) is as good as music gets for me. Even an obnoxious bouncy girl at Bonnaroo singing along off-key couldn’t ruin this for me. Probably my favorite song of all-time.

2 comments:

  1. Sweet picks for the top five. Reckoner definitely gives me the chills every time I listen to it (as do all the others) – there's just something about that interplay between the cymbals and guitar.

    Pyramid Song might be my favorite Radiohead song. Every time I hear it, I feel exactly as I did when I first listened to it – emotionally blown away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pyramid Song is pretty awesome. Like I said, so much depends on mood, especially since their songs convey so many varied emotions (at least for me).

    ReplyDelete