Monday, June 22, 2009

Top 5 Bands I Like, But Shouldn't

Not too long ago, I made a list of the Top 5 Bands I Should Like, But Don’t. This list just seemed like a natural follow-up. There are couple issues to be addressed before I get started. First of all, I don’t believe in “guilty pleasures.” I’m perfectly happy admitting I like something that is generally frowned upon. In fact, I’ll go to my grave saying that The Brothers Solomon (Rotten Tomato rating: 16%) is one the greatest comedies of the past ten years and that The Wicker Man remake is intentionally funny. You may disagree, but I won’t be embarrassed by your mockery of my opinions. Secondly (and lastly), I don’t necessarily love the bands included, but I like them to have purchased at least one of their albums and listened to the albums enough to know the songs fairly well.

But before I get to the bands, I have to include this:

I actually love these freecreditreport.com commercials. I’m the only one I know who does. It started out as a perverse glee at everyone’s hostile reactions to the guy and his “band,” but swelled into outright enjoyment. The songs are insanely catchy and I feel like those guys would be fun to hang out with. I know from the eye rolls I get when I tell people I like the commercials that I shouldn’t, but they’re just so damn joyful.

Honorable Mention: The Pierces
I didn’t want to include them because they are fairly obscure, but I didn’t want to leave them off either. I legitimately love their song “Secrets” and kind of hate “Boring.” What remains in between is oddly intriguing. They aren’t particularly good singers and the songs are of an overtly poppy nature that is typically off-putting. They also have a tendency to have silly speaking parts mid-song. However, the music is dark and interesting and the juxtaposition fascinates me. And sure, you can call me out for also liking that they are attractive, but I only discovered that after I heard “Secrets,” so it doesn’t way heavily into the equation.

I included this song because I was shocked that there's a legitimately terrifying image in the video. See if you can find it.

5. Damien Rice
I could have just as easily put David Gray here, but I’ve read more horrible reviews of Rice’s albums from Pitchfork.com so Rice sticks in my mind more. Pitchfork’s reviews are typically overblown and ridiculous, but they rate Rice so low and my tastes overlap with Pitchfork in the genres I typically like. This is really more about the community acceptance than me (much like I really like the first two Coldplay albums, though that’s verboten, too). I love Damien Rice. O, along with The Arcade Fire’s Funeral and The Secret Machines’ Now Here Is Nowhere was one of my favorite albums the year it came out. I understand some of the criticism about the lyrics and how he could be deemed overly sensitive, traits that can put me off in other artists, but I just think he makes great music.


4. Of Montreal
My opinion of them wavers depending on my mood. Recently, I’ve been enjoying them very much. The biggest surprise about liking them is that I don’t have much interest in many of their stylistic influences. I don’t care for funk much, or reggae at all. The stage show is overblown in ways that annoy me. I never cared much for the Talking Heads and I get a distinct vibe of the Talking Heads from Of Montreal. I can tell exactly what is or should be annoying about the band, but again, I’m compelled to keep listening.


3. The Go! Team
The Go! Team are a band that I really like some songs a lot, but can’t stand others. Again, they are heavily funk influenced, but they also include old-school hip-hop, bizarre cheerleading, and sampling. For those that know me, two of those components are completely lacking in the music I love. I think what draws me to The Go! Team is the sheer energy of the band. The music definitely gets the heart racing and it’s very fun. I have the feeling that seeing them live is the best way to experience their music.


2. Joe Walsh
Probably the most innocuous selection on this list. I can’t imagine anybody having a strong opinion either way on Walsh. “Life’s Been Good” is a fantastic song and the man seems laid back and funny judging by his stint on The Drew Carey Show. The reason he makes the list, and makes it so high, is because The Eagles are on my Top 5 Worst Bands of All-Time list. How can a man make such good music alone and such crappy music with another band? I wonder how I would feel if I had known he was in The Eagles before I’d heard his music.


1. Scissor Sisters
This was the first band I thought of for this list. There is so much I should hate about them. Their name is a stupid sexual joke (although the band logo is pretty awesome). They sound like The Bee-Gees (who I cannot tolerate). Every song appears to be about the same thing (going out and partying) and practically cry out, “Dance to me!” (I don’t dance). They even covered Pink Floyd’s “Comfortably Numb” as a dance song! And for some reason, I’m OK with it. Their second album isn’t nearly as good as the first, but the song “Intermission” is incredible. Every part of me knows I should reject them, but no part of me can. Sometimes there is no reason for what you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment