Friday, October 2, 2009

The Internet and the Job Search

Since moving to Portland, I’ve done essentially two things. Sit on my ass all afternoon/evening/night watching DVDs and looking for jobs. The latter has met with significantly less success than the former. I’ve learned that hoofing it around town and asking if people are hiring doesn’t really get one so far these days. Several times I’ve been told that all application stuff is done online and more businesses are moving that way. Even offering myself up to volunteer at the Northwest Film Center while in the Film Center led to me being sent home to sign-up online.

This is all well and good for those who have constant access to the internet, but for the first week and a half, I relied on the coffee shop across the street. Now, I enjoy parking myself in a coffee shop as much as the next person, but the money for a chai latte or hot chocolate adds up when you’re going every day. And, in such a small shop, there is the risk of over-staying one’s welcome.

So I rejoiced when I finally got the internet on Wednesday. I’ve applied to many real jobs and volunteer positions. Things were going great until today, Friday of the same week, when I was doing the job search thing and spilled water on myself, the Foof, and yes, my computer. About five minutes passed and the machine powered down. Many emotions flooded through me. I can’t afford to buy a new computer right now. I just got internet and now I’m paying to not have it. And I have no idea how to search for jobs without internet access. Every place I’ve applied I found because of internet searches. It’s crazy to think that there are still people who get by without this wonderful technology.

Fortunately, my computer started working about two to three hours later, but has shut down randomly on me periodically. As luck should have it, ever since I got to Portland, I felt like my computer was going to crash, so last night I backed up all the vital files on my computer, so if it was dead, I still had everything I needed.

It’s not hard to live without internet when one doesn’t really need anything, but increasingly, everything one needs is available only online. I kind of scared myself thinking about how much I rely on this technology and how out of touch I am with the formerly conventional methods of living. It’s almost like I need a back-up computer to feel safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment