Sunday, October 4, 2009

Zombieland


Minor spoilers below. Be warned.


I didn’t go into Zombieland with the intention of writing about it, but I feel like I didn’t enjoy it as much as I should have or as much as the critics and the general populous do. Don’t get me wrong, it’s very enjoyable and everyone should see it before the surprise is spoiled for them, but something was amiss for me and I have several theories as to why.


First, the good things. Typically, I don’t care for the over-stylized use of slow motion, but Zombieland makes great use of it. It’s the same sort of hyper-slow motion used at times in The Hurt Locker, except here it’s deployed for humor instead of intensity. It helps that the scenarios depicted are delightfully silly.

The film also takes great glee in zombie “murder.” Seriously, when you think of the zombie apocalypse, you see yourself kicking ass, not hiding away in some remote fortress while cabin fever sets in. There is a video game sense in that anything you pick up is a weapon: a toilet tank lid, a banjo, shears, etc. And let’s not forget the ability to mindlessly destroy anything when you’re the last people on earth. It’s wish fulfillment

I immediately perked up at the surprise, because let’s face it, it’s awesome (though ultimately does nothing to advance the story, but I’ll forgive it that since it offers so much funny). And the movie is funny, with creative kills and the rules that pop up on screen (for a more comprehensive list, check out Max Brooks’ Zombie Survival Handbook). Perhaps the funniest stuff comes from the different personalities teaming up. Timid Columbus, crazed Tallahassee, and distrustful con-sisters Wichita and Little Rock. The interplay between them is always amusing, especially during a montage showing each of them driving.

It’s because I enjoyed the dynamic between the characters so much that I was disappointed every time they were broken up for a while. Columbus and Tallahassee were always fun to watch, but the sisters didn’t bring much to the table when it’s just them because they are familiar with each other. The flashback of them conning the gas station attendant is just dull and unnecessary. We already know they run a good con because they’ve tricked Columbus and Tallahassee twice.


Another issue I have with the film is that I don’t like fast zombies (though to be fair, these seem to be viral zombies and not undead zombies). I love 28 Days Later, but that film is legitimately scary. Zombieland is going almost entirely for laughs and the fast zombies seem to exist to make a not particularly scary movie slightly scarier in the easiest way possible. There’s nothing wrong with it not being scary, but if you do want to, don’t try to cheat it. Essentially, Zombieland is a different type of gross-out comedy than we’re used to.


I’m not typically a fan of narration, but in Zombieland, the narration doesn’t make any sense to me. There are a bunch of decent jokes gotten out of it, but in a post-zombie apocalyptic world, who is Columbus narrating to? I think it’s fair to say that he is narrating recent events and no indication is given that the group has met anyone new, so for all intents and purposes, there is no one left to hear his story or advice. I know this seems nitpicky, but it was something that occupied my mind during the film, and films shouldn’t offer anything that will bring the viewer out of the world it has created.

My final gripe is that the amusement park set piece could have been exploited far better than it was. I know that Zombieland is really a road movie, but I just can’t help but think of all the awesome opportunities that were missed by not getting them to the park earlier.

Now, I wouldn’t be surprised if my experience was shaded by not only seeing it alone, but having to listen to a group of fanboys talking loudly before the movie about what the next Batman movie will entail, the purpose of Michael Bay in the world, and shouting out “I didn’t approve this!” during the green audience approved screen before the trailers. Also, an annoying girl behind me kept vocalizing her approval of plot elements by saying, “yeeeeees!” Tangent: unless the filmmakers are there, there is no need to clap and cheer. Films should elicit natural, uncontrived responses such as tears, laughter, or screams, not applause because you heard someone else start to clap. End tangent.


With the theater experience being less than ideal, I’ll definitely check Zombie land out again. Hell, I’ll probably buy it simply because I love the genre. I really do want to love it and it did take a few screenings of 28 Days Later for me to fully appreciate it.


One final note: stay through the end credits. It’s worth your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment