Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Two Weeks in Stumptown

When I moved to Portland with no job prospects and no friends, I expected to struggle a little. The friend thing isn’t such a big deal because it’s easy to keep in touch with people and I have DVDs to supplant my need for companionship (and now, the baseball playoffs have started). The crappy job market didn’t surprise me, either. It was one of the defining characteristics I was informed of preparing to move. Some would say that this is probably the most important characteristic, but those people no nothing of irresponsible decisions and should be ignored. What has surprised me is how difficult it is to find a place to volunteer.


Seriously, who doesn’t want free work? Apparently, everyone. In addition to the job applications I’ve sent out, I sent out about five or six volunteer applications. Unfortunately, aside from one email back saying they were full up on volunteers, I’ve heard nothing from the others. No one needs membership mailings compiled? I planned on volunteering to be my way into the industry and to help me find a real job. So far, I’ve been spending most of my time on the Foof. Don’t get me wrong, it’s as comfy and relaxing as ever, but that’s superficial. My mind is getting antsy.


To be fair, I finally found a place that is willing to take my free services. It’s a very cool old theater called The Hollywood Theater. I have to wait over a week before my first night of work, but it’s a start.

The other problem is I’m used to relatively quick turnaround about job inquiries one way or the other. I guess I’ve been spoiled in that way. Even the jobs that advertised openings only tell me they received an application, but I have no idea when they are looking at them or when to expect an answer one way or another. I can understand with real jobs that are of the “career” variety. You want someone qualified who will hang around for a while. But does REI or a pizza place really need to take weeks to figure out if it needs to hire someone to work?


It’s also a bit unusual because I know longer have to go into a place to apply. In fact, most places want you to apply online. How can I make an impression on an employee or boss pre-interview if I don’t interact with them?


It’s only been two weeks, which isn’t that much time, but when you’ve done nothing with your life for four months, it starts to feel like an eternity. Still, as of now, there is nothing to stop me from going to the bar and watching the Red Sox play some playoff baseball. Sweet.

1 comment:

  1. We get a lot of people here who volunteer to try and get their foot in the door, so it must work on some level.

    I've always found that calling to check on submitted applications seems to help. You don't want to be a pest, but show that you're interested...it's worked for me thusfar.

    ReplyDelete