Thursday, January 12, 2012

Redheads as Villains

A few months ago, it felt like everywhere I turned, someone was talking about redheads*. Redheads were being bullied:




Sperm banks were shutting us out and redheads kept popping up in movies I was watching as villains. So, with all of this negative redhead content in my mind, I thought it'd be fun to make a list of movies that feature a redhead as the villain (or a villain). I'm sure I've missed a bunch, so feel free to add to the list in the comments. In no particular order:

The Incredibles

Ghostbusters
Children of the Corn

The Iron Giant
Ferris Bueller
       -- Honestly, I could probably just load this list up with Jeffrey Jones appearances, but I'll leave it at one. Same goes for William Atherton in Ghostbusters.
A Christmas Story

House II: The Second Story
Batman Forever

*I'd like to take a moment to acknowledge how weird it is that we call them "redheads." We don't call people "blond heads" or "brunette heads" and "black heads**" has an entirely different meaning. Red heads are already set aside as other just by the way we refer them.


**Honestly, I'm not really sure what you call someone with black hair. I'm going to call them "noirs" from now on.

3 comments:

  1. The guy from Children of the Corn is forever etched in my memory for the basement murderer he played in The 'Burbs (1989). My babysitter let me watch it and I still can't comfortably be in basements. Also, though not humans, Chucky and Pennywise (clown from IT) are red heads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I forgot about Chucky. That's inexcusable.

    The 'Burbs used to terrify me, too, but for some reason, I was more scared of The Money Pit when Tom Hanks gets covered in white paint and rides down the hill in a wheelbarrow (I think it was in a wheelbarrow).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judas was supposed to be red headed. Darkheart in the Carebears II movie was red headed. Incidentally my ex looks like the short red head in the Incredibles.

    ReplyDelete