Sunday, February 26, 2012

Some Under-appreciated Movie Themes

I watched the original Godzilla last night and forgot how amazing the theme is, which made me think of other themes that don't get the publicity of say, Star Wars, Jaws, or the James Bond series (had to throw another composer in there or it would have felt like I was piling on John Williams). Anyway, here's a few movie themes that I love:

Godzilla


Planet of the Apes (Jerry Goldsmith is probably my favorite film composer of all time)


Gremlins (more Goldsmith and probably better known than the others, but this song rules!)


The Incredibles (it's a travesty of mammoth proportions that this score didn't even get nominated for an Academy Award let alone win, as it rightly should have)


A Fistful of Dollars (The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly gets all the press, but there's loads of Morricone themes that could easily fit in this place)


Ghostbusters (Elmer Bernstein has done so many amazing scores and I think it's sad that his music for this film gets overshadowed by Ray Parker, Jr. This is the first time we hear this theme in Ghostbusters and it weaves in and out of most of the tracks in the film. The piano always brings a smile to my face)


That's all for now. What themes do you think aren't appreciated enough?

No comments:

Post a Comment